OM2007.2

Wolfgang Spraul wolfgang at openmoko.com
Thu Jul 31 21:20:55 CEST 2008

Jay,

> Not me!  I witnessed all the work that went into OM 2007.2 over the
> last couple of years - including the days of OE - and when it was all
> chucked out for 'the new stuff' it was, frankly, a bit miserable.

The only thing that was 'chucked out' was the matchbox window manager.
It was a great piece of technology and we still like it, but we
decided to replace it with raster's Enlightenment and raster did a
fantastic job.
I think even though the switch was painful at the beginning, we now
can be proud of E and have very interesting options going forward.

Everything else is still there, including GTK+ if that's what you are
looking for.
The GTK+ telephony applications are not used by default anymore, but
we are working on making them easily installable through the Installer.
I hope eventually you will like OM 2008.8 as much as you like OM 2007.2

But forks are welcome, if people out there show us how to do things
better, I'm pretty sure I speak for many of us that we will not suffer
from NIH syndrome and instead just try to integrate great stuff into
our builds.
OpenEmbedded makes it very easy for people to do things differently
from us, and we invest quite a bit of time and money into it.
Best Regards,
Wolfgang