Vodafone 128k sim not working

William Kenworthy billk at iinet.net.au
Mon Nov 3 13:21:00 CET 2008

Some more: I had an ancient vodafone sim that worked fine on 2007.2, but
was extreemly flakey on ASU/FSO/first FDOM.  I swapped to 128k and it
connects with ASU - most of the time but only in very good signal areas.
Often, a number of reboots wont connect, but sometimes will connect if
you restart the xserver instead of rebooting (faster startup - race
issues in qtopia???)

If you are using the 0710mux that now comes with latest
FDOM/2008.testing/FSO, forget it.  I only ever connected once or twice
over many many reboots/xserver restarts, swapping the sim back and
forward with my treo etc.  A working 2008.9 stops registering if you
install the mux.

Can you raise a bug for it - I raised one but at the time I wasnt using
the 128ksim - and its been languishing as it seems I am the only one (or
two?) that has this issue.  Maybe OM need convincing this is a serious
userland issue - well it is for me :)

If with logread you are seeing the atchat "AT-Command Interpreter ready"
lines like below, it will never connect! - just keeps cycling :(

BillK

Nov  3 17:51:43 om-gta02 user.notice root: AtChat :  F : AT-Command
Interpreter
ready
Nov  3 17:51:43 om-gta02 user.notice root: Modem :  Attempts needed to
initialize the modem
0
Nov  3 17:51:43 om-gta02 user.notice root: AtChat :  T :
"ATE0"
Nov  3 17:51:43 om-gta02 user.notice root: AtChat :
F :
Nov  3 17:51:48 om-gta02 user.notice root: AtChat :  F : AT-Command
Interpreter
ready
Nov  3 17:51:48 om-gta02 user.notice root: Modem :  Multiplexing has
been
disabled.
Nov  3 17:51:48 om-gta02 user.notice root: Modem :  querying single
modem plug-in
"ficgta01vendor"
Nov  3 17:51:48 om-gta02 user.notice root: AtChat :  T : "AT
+CBC"
Nov  3 17:51:48 om-gta02 user.notice root: AtChat :
Ficgta01PhoneBook::Ficgta01PhoneBook
Nov  3 17:51:52 om-gta02 user.notice root: QDSync :
QDSyncTask::QDSyncTask
Nov  3 17:52:00 om-gta02 user.notice root: AtChat :  F : "AT-Command
Interpreter
ready"
Nov  3 17:52:00 om-gta02 user.notice root: AtChat :  F : "AT-Command
Interpreter
ready"
Nov  3 17:52:08 om-gta02 user.notice root: AtChat :  F : "AT-Command
Interpreter
ready"
Nov  3 17:52:13 om-gta02 user.notice root: AtChat :  F : "AT-Command
Interpreter
ready"
Nov  3 17:52:23 om-gta02 user.notice root: AtChat :  F : "AT-Command
Interpreter
ready"
Nov  3 17:52:28 om-gta02 user.notice root: AtChat :  F : "AT-Command
Interpreter
ready"
Nov  3 17:52:33 om-gta02 user.notice root: AtChat :  F : "AT-Command
Interpreter
ready"
Nov  3 17:52:38 om-gta02 user.notice root: AtChat :  F : "AT-Command
Interpreter
ready"
Nov  3 17:52:43 om-gta02 user.notice root: AtChat :  F : "AT-Command
Interpreter
ready"
Nov  3 17:52:48 om-gta02 user.notice root: AtChat :  F : "AT-Command
Interpreter
ready"
Nov  3 17:52:53 om-gta02 user.notice root: AtChat :  F : "AT-Command
Interpreter
ready"
Nov  3 17:52:59 om-gta02 user.notice root: AtChat :  F : "AT-Command
Interpreter
ready"
Nov  3 17:53:04 om-gta02 user.notice root: AtChat :  F : "AT-Command
Interpreter
ready"
Nov  3 17:53:08 om-gta02 user.notice root: AtChat :  F : "AT-Command
Interpreter
ready"
Nov  3 17:53:13 om-gta02 user.notice root: AtChat :  F : "AT-Command
Interpreter
ready"
Nov  3 17:53:18 om-gta02 user.notice root: AtChat :  F : "AT-Command
Interpreter
ready"
Nov  3 17:53:23 om-gta02 user.notice root: AtChat :  F : "AT-Command
Interpreter
ready"
Nov  3 17:53:28 om-gta02 user.notice root: AtChat :  F : "AT-Command
Interpreter
ready"
Nov  3 17:53:33 om-gta02 user.notice root: AtChat :  F : "AT-Command
Interpreter
ready"
Nov  3 17:53:38 om-gta02 user.notice root: AtChat :  F : "AT-Command
Interpreter
ready"
Nov  3 17:53:43 om-gta02 user.notice root: AtChat :  F : "AT-Command
Interpreter ready"

On Mon, 2008-11-03 at 12:52 +0100, Nicola Mfb wrote:
> 2008/10/6 luca.pisani at birdo.net <luca.pisani at birdo.net>
>         With Vodafone sim 32.2k was working...
>         When I changed to 128k sim the problems starts....
>         I tried also with a Vodafone 64k sim from a store that has
>         it for testing and it worked...
>         With a 3 year old Vodafone 128k sim (from a friend) and it
>         worked (I just tested a couple of times)...
>         For the pin on your old 64k vodafone try to disable the pin
>         from your motorola phone, or change it to another pin , and
>         than test with freerunner (post also a logread)
>
> Sorry for delay, only yesterday I had the time to go in a Vodafone
> shop. I asked to change the 64k sim with a new one (128k), before
> buying it they let me try the sim and it did not work. I'm not using
> 2008.9 but can report that on FSO the framework daemon reports that
> the SIM is not present!
>
> As vodafone employee said that this was the first time a phone does
> not recognize their SIMs, I'm very curious to know why this very
> annoying problem is there, should I think that openmoko did not choose
> a very well tested hardware component?
>
> Regards
>
>     Nicola

Home in Perth!