Distro Reviews

Gothnet openmoko at nastylittlehorse.net
Fri Nov 7 17:35:19 CET 2008

Paul-10 wrote:

> I finally received my Freerunner and it's been exciting.  I am trying to
> use
> the Freerunner as my primary phone.

I don't mean to be snarky, but good luck with that....

I've just given up on mine as a main phone after a couple of months of
struggling. Must admit I didn't try Qtopia though. My advice - try Qtopia,
install a second distro on the SD card to evaluate. Debian, 2008.09 and FDOM
are all happy to boot from SD. Debian does need something like 400MB though.

For me, Om2008.09 and FDOM had the echo really badly (it went away one
update and then came back next time) regardless of what I did with
handset.state
Debian was fun to play with but after a couple of days it inexplicably
decided to stop registering with my network and thus became useless.

Android looks promising but is going to need work to get it more friendly
with gta hardware. The sound quality on it is great so far, and the
responsiveness of the UI is fantastic compared to any of the other distros I
tried. Just a shame there's no way to pick up the call when it rings.

Dunno about SHR/FSO, never got as far as to try.