VPN client installation?

chocotuar mckeea at rpi.edu
Mon Nov 10 23:16:53 CET 2008

My school has a wireless network that's set up to work with our own VPN
clients, and I'm trying to get my FreeRunner hooked up with a VPN client so
it can access the wireless. The problem comes from the fact that I can't
find any decent documentation on how I would go about doing this.

I'm running 2008.9, and I thought I had found an ipk for vpnc, which turned
out to be a bust by halting with the message "vpnc was built without
openssl: Can't do hybrid or cert mode." Next, I looked up other VPN clients,
which is when I found openvpn.

openVPN doesn't have an ipk that I can find, so I found the source code and
tried to compile it on my FreeRunner, but that halts with the message
"configure: error: C compiler cannot create executables." I don't know if
this is because I've install gcc incorrectly, or if there is indeed no way
to compile from source.

Basically, how do I get a vpn client onto my freerunner? Any one will do,
I've been working on this for days and I can't find anything solid.