Is there a dfu-util that can successfully backup an existing flash?

Angus Ainslie angus.ainslie at gmail.com
Wed Nov 12 00:30:04 CET 2008

On Tue, Nov 11, 2008 at 3:38 PM, William Kenworthy <billk at iinet.net.au>wrote:

> Is there a dfu-util that can successfully backup an existing flash?
>
> Last one I tried still failed.  Its a big discouragement to trying new
> distros/experimenting when it takes hours to reinstall/rebuild back to
> where you were when you started when a simple flash the old system back
> would do.
>
> BillK

You can do it from an ssh session. I use the script below

#!/bin/sh
echo "Make sure you have opkg installed mkfs-jffs2"

mkdir  /var/tmp/root
mount -t jffs2 /dev/mtdblock6 /var/tmp/root

echo "On PC side"
echo
echo "ssh root at 192.168.0.202 \"mkfs.jffs2 -d /var/tmp/root -e 128 --pad
--no-cleanmarkers -x lzo\" | pv -W > rootfs_backup.jffs2"
echo "scp root at 192.168.0.202:/boot/uImage kernel_backup.bin"

--
Angus Ainslie
http://www.handheldshell.com/