Battery killed?

Joachim Ott jo.omsl at googlemail.com
Wed Nov 12 19:08:24 CET 2008

2008/11/12 Alastair Johnson <alastair at truebox.co.uk>

> Joachim Ott wrote:
> > 2008/11/12 Alastair Johnson <alastair at truebox.co.uk
> > <mailto:alastair at truebox.co.uk>>
> >
> >     It should be possible to charge the 'dead' battery. Boot with the
> >     working one, attach the mains charger or USB so you have external
> power
> >     to keep it going, then pull the working battery and insert the 'dead'
> >     one. It should be detected and start charging, and you should be able
> >     monitor its progress using the usual /sys entries:
> >

> > I tried this once more. I wouldn't charge. I started this around 12:45,
> > went off to another room around 13:10, when I came back at 13:30 the FR
> > was dead, no flashing LED this time, and no messages on the screen.
>
> And what do the /sys entries I linked to the details of say? They'll
> show what the power management unit and battery coulomb counter are
> reporting about the charging process, such as current going into the
> battery, or whether the coulomb counter is no longer talking.

This is the good battery (uvent):

POWER_SUPPLY_NAME=bat
POWER_SUPPLY_TYPE=Battery
POWER_SUPPLY_STATUS=Charging
POWER_SUPPLY_VOLTAGE_NOW=4006000
POWER_SUPPLY_CURRENT_NOW=-163312
POWER_SUPPLY_CHARGE_FULL=1124728
POWER_SUPPLY_TEMP=301
POWER_SUPPLY_TECHNOLOGY=Li-ion
POWER_SUPPLY_PRESENT=1
POWER_SUPPLY_TIME_TO_EMPTY_NOW=3932100
POWER_SUPPLY_TIME_TO_FULL_NOW=8460
POWER_SUPPLY_CAPACITY=78
POWER_SUPPLY_ONLINE=1

The bad bat:

POWER_SUPPLY_NAME=bat
POWER_SUPPLY_TYPE=Battery
POWER_SUPPLY_STATUS=Charging
POWER_SUPPLY_VOLTAGE_NOW=3740000
POWER_SUPPLY_CURRENT_NOW=-302062
POWER_SUPPLY_CHARGE_FULL=1039048
POWER_SUPPLY_TEMP=268
POWER_SUPPLY_TECHNOLOGY=Li-ion
POWER_SUPPLY_PRESENT=1
POWER_SUPPLY_TIME_TO_EMPTY_NOW=3932100
POWER_SUPPLY_TIME_TO_FULL_NOW=17100
POWER_SUPPLY_CAPACITY=12
POWER_SUPPLY_ONLINE=1

And now it looks like it's charging again (/proc/apm):

1.13 1.2 0x02 0x01 0x03 0x03 13% 288 min

This is different from this afternoon. Did it just need a rest?