sending and receiving sms through python application

VictorSigma victorsigma at
Mon Nov 17 19:52:47 CET 2008

I am trying to create a python application on my laptop that uses the
freerunner as gateway to send and receive text messages. Originally I was
just going to ssh into the phone and use this tutorial to send  and read messages
through python. However I am finding it difficult to ssh into  the phone
through python. Is there anyway to download and send sms from an python
program running on a laptop(using any distribution)?