NetworkManager in Intrepid breaks my FreeRunner's Internet connection

Joachim Ott jo.omsl at googlemail.com
Sun Oct 12 18:46:21 CEST 2008

2008/10/12 Jeffrey Ratcliffe <jeffrey.ratcliffe at gmail.com>

> I've just upgraded my Hardy desktop to Intrepid and now have network
> problems.
>
> This is my /etc/network/interfaces
>
> auto lo
> iface lo inet loopback
>
> auto usb0
> iface usb0 inet static
>       address 192.168.0.200
>       netmask 255.255.255.0
>       network 192.168.0.0
>       up iptables -A POSTROUTING -t nat -j MASQUERADE -s 192.168.0.0/24 &
>       up echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward &
>       up iptables -P FORWARD ACCEPT &
>       down iptables -D POSTROUTING -t nat -j MASQUERADE -s 192.168.0.0/24&
>
> This worked fine with Hardy, but the desktop cannot see the network.
>
> If I comment out auto usb0 and everything below, I can access the rest
> of the network, but then, of course, my FreeRunner no longer has
> Internet access.
>
> Any ideas on how to get both up?

 I use the following setup:

On the Freerunner:

auto usb0
iface usb0 inet static
        address 192.168.0.202
        netmask 255.255.255.0
        network 192.168.0.0
        gateway 192.168.0.200
        up echo -e "nameserver 192.168.0.200" >/etc/resolv.conf

On the desktop:

allow-hotplug usb0
iface usb0 inet static
        address 192.168.0.200
        netmask 255.255.255.0

The iptables-stuff is set at system startup and always active, no matter if
the Freerunner is connected or not. These lines are suitable for
iptables-restore:

*filter
-A FORWARD -i usb0 -o eth0 -j ACCEPT
-A FORWARD -i eth0 -o usb0 -m state --state RELATED,ESTABLISHED -j ACCEPT
*nat
# redirect this to my DNS
-A PREROUTING -i usb0 -p udp -m udp --dport 53 -j DNAT --to-destination
192.168.7.71
-A POSTROUTING -o eth0 -j MASQUERADE

And finally in /etc/sysctl.conf:

net.ipv4.conf.default.forwarding=1