NetworkManager in Intrepid breaks my FreeRunner's Internet connection

Joel Newkirk freerunner at
Sun Oct 12 20:02:08 CEST 2008

On Sun, 12 Oct 2008 15:28:27 +0200, "Jeffrey Ratcliffe"
<jeffrey.ratcliffe at> wrote:
> I've just upgraded my Hardy desktop to Intrepid and now have network
> problems.
> This is my /etc/network/interfaces
> auto lo
> iface lo inet loopback
> auto usb0
> iface usb0 inet static
>    address
>    netmask
>    network
>    up iptables -A POSTROUTING -t nat -j MASQUERADE -s &
>    up echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward &
>    up iptables -P FORWARD ACCEPT &
>    down iptables -D POSTROUTING -t nat -j MASQUERADE -s &
> This worked fine with Hardy, but the desktop cannot see the network.
> If I comment out auto usb0 and everything below, I can access the rest
> of the network, but then, of course, my FreeRunner no longer has
> Internet access.
> Any ideas on how to get both up?
> Regards
> Jeff

Try changing the address to and netmask to
(that's a /30 subnet, with network IP, broadcast IP, host, and FR and
that's it)  If that permits you to talk to both the FR and the rest of your
(presumably network, then on the FR change the gateway to and netmask to  (also change DNS if
necessary in /etc/resolv.conf on FR)