NetworkManager in Intrepid breaks my FreeRunner's Internet connection

digger vermont dv_mlist at
Mon Oct 13 00:39:24 CEST 2008

On Sun, 2008-10-12 at 15:28 +0200, Jeffrey Ratcliffe wrote:
> I've just upgraded my Hardy desktop to Intrepid and now have network problems.
> This is my /etc/network/interfaces
> auto lo
> iface lo inet loopback
> auto usb0
> iface usb0 inet static
>        address
>        netmask
>        network
>        up iptables -A POSTROUTING -t nat -j MASQUERADE -s &
>        up echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward &
>        up iptables -P FORWARD ACCEPT &
>        down iptables -D POSTROUTING -t nat -j MASQUERADE -s &
> This worked fine with Hardy, but the desktop cannot see the network.
> If I comment out auto usb0 and everything below, I can access the rest
> of the network, but then, of course, my FreeRunner no longer has
> Internet access.
> Any ideas on how to get both up?

Recently something changed with NetworkManager in Intrepid, don't know
what.  With the "auto usb0" line in the interfaces file NM decided that
it to make it the default route when I plugged it in.  I could see the
nm-applet going around and then a notification that I was connected to
the Freerunner.  Looking at connections with nm-applet there were tabs
for both the wireless and usb0 with usb0 marked as default. I kinda
remember an Ubuntu bug-report concerning the default route in NM.

Any way my solution was to comment out "auto usb0" and manually use
"ifup usb0" (actually "sudo ifdown usb0 && sudo ifup usb0" is what I