NetworkManager in Intrepid breaks my FreeRunner's Internet connection

azmodie azmodie at
Mon Oct 13 14:57:25 CEST 2008

On Mon, Oct 13, 2008 at 6:14 AM, Jeffrey Ratcliffe <
jeffrey.ratcliffe at> wrote:

> 2008/10/13 digger vermont <dv_mlist at>:
> > Recently something changed with NetworkManager in Intrepid, don't know
> > what.  With the "auto usb0" line in the interfaces file NM decided that
> They started using the 0.7 version of NetworkManager, which isn't
> quite finished.
> > it to make it the default route when I plugged it in.  I could see the
> > nm-applet going around and then a notification that I was connected to
> > the Freerunner.  Looking at connections with nm-applet there were tabs
> > for both the wireless and usb0 with usb0 marked as default. I kinda
> > remember an Ubuntu bug-report concerning the default route in NM.
> There are plenty of those. I can post them if anyone is interested.
> > Any way my solution was to comment out "auto usb0" and manually use
> > "ifup usb0" (actually "sudo ifdown usb0 && sudo ifup usb0" is what I
> > use).
> Are you saying that you type "sudo ifdown usb0 && sudo ifup usb0"
> every time you plug in your FR?
> I'm beginning to conclude that I will have to remove NM and set up
> everything manually.
> Regards
> Jeff

have you tried replacing network manager with Wicd[1]. i think it has better
frontend and will not have the same issue as NM.

" Due to the speed of light being faster than the speed of sound people
often look bright until they speak"