Re-registering to GSM network

Michael Shiloh michael at openmoko.org
Tue Oct 14 19:34:17 CEST 2008

Marco Trevisan (Treviño) wrote:
> Leonti Bielski wrote:
>> As I get it it is unfortunately impossible to upgrade the firmware at
>> home because of NDA - only Openmoko Inc. employee can do that.
>> I hope (but doubt it ) it will will be available to the public someday
>> in the future.
>
> Why? Isn't it a binary blob?
> I can't understand why they can't release the firmware binary...

Two issues:

1. If we allow you to update the firmware, then our own standard of
openness requires that we give you the source. Due to NDA with chip
manufacturer, and probably FCC regulations as well, we're not allowed to
give you the source, so therefore we chose not to allow you to update
the firmware.

2. The NDA with the chip manufacturer does not allow us to distribute
the update utility.

Michael