Re-registering to GSM network

Joel Newkirk freerunner at newkirk.us
Fri Oct 17 04:11:58 CEST 2008

On Fri, 17 Oct 2008 02:06:47 +0200, "Marco Trevisan (Treviño)"
<mail at 3v1n0.net> wrote:
> Leonti Bielski wrote:
>> It's nr. 1 bug for me too. I have qTopia insalled, so in theory I've got
>> working phone. But, I can't use it as such, because It constantly
>> re-registers.
>
> Well, honestly I've to say that I've never seen this in my phone.
> Looking at logread it often repeats my operator name but it generally
> stays up. I really have lost some calls, but I figure that
> re-registering was never the cause.
> So, is there a way to read the firmware version/timestamp? Just to
> compare different behaviors!
>
> BTW have you tried the mwester fix/workaround for this? It's available
> for qtopia too (also in binary form).

http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/GSM_network_registration

With FSO/Frameworkd the two following commands are useful:

root at iota:~# mdbus -s org.freesmartphone.ophoned
/org/freesmartphone/GSM/Device GetInfo
{   'imei': '3546510xxxxxxxx',
    'manufacturer': 'FIC/OpenMoko',
    'model': '"Neo1973 GTA02 Embedded GSM Modem"',
    'revision': '"HW: GTA02BV5, GSM:
gsm_ac_gp_fd_pu_em_cph_ds_vc_cal35_ri_36_amd8_ts0-Moko8"'}

root at iota:~# mdbus -s org.freesmartphone.ogsmd
/org/freesmartphone/GSM/Device GetStatus
{'mode': 'automatic', 'registration': 'unregistered', 'strength': 61}

Note the 'Moko8' at the end of 'revision', returned by GetInfo.  Normally
GetStatus should return something like:
root at iota:~# mdbus -s org.freesmartphone.ogsmd
/org/freesmartphone/GSM/Device GetStatus
{   'mode': 'automatic',
    'provider': 'SunCom',
    'registration': 'roaming',
    'strength': 64}