Connecting Neo to OS X via Bluetooth

Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller hns at computer.org
Fri Oct 17 20:22:54 CEST 2008

Am 17.10.2008 um 17:49 schrieb Roland:

> Because the whole USB network/OS X thing is so flaky, I'm trying to
> connect
> my PowerBook to my Neo in an alternate way. Wifi works via a router
> but not
> via an adhoc network (no DHCP is served by the Mac and its too
> painful to
> configure the Neo with a fixed IP just for adhoc usage when it works
> fine
> when connecting to a proper router). Therefore connecting via
> BlueTooth
> seems to me to be the next step.
>

> Has anyone successfully connected their FDOM Neo to their OS X 10.5
> Mac via
> Bluetooth? If so, can you provide some easily understandable
> instructions
> (or something that I can translate into easily understandable
> instructions)?

Maybe, this could help resp. give some hints:

http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Manually_using_Bluetooth#PPP_Networking
http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/MacOS_X#Bluetooth_Networking

The problem is that there is a very low common set of bluetooth
profiles and
services supported on both systems. Or they are implemented differently.

> It seems to me as a Neo newbie, that the thing is pretty flaky and
> you need
> to know what you are doing. I should do as I've admin'd and
> developed for
> Linux and OS X for quite a while now but there are still vast gaps
> in my
> knowledge.

Please just ask what you don't understand. Sometimes a public dicussion
helps a lot (and is also sort of documentation).

Nikolaus