tango

Joel Newkirk freerunner at newkirk.us
Sun Oct 19 19:06:03 CEST 2008

On Sun, 19 Oct 2008 13:23:55 +0200, "Joachim Ott" <jo.omsl at googlemail.com>
wrote:
> 2008/10/19 Joel Newkirk <freerunner at newkirk.us>
>>
>> AFAIK the FreeRunner currently has no way to flash itself from an image,
>> regardless of where it's located.  At best you'd only be able to flash
>> bootsplash and uboot bootloader while the OS is running from the
> internal
>> flash you'd be overwriting.  Such a flash feature would need to be in
> the
>> bootloader itself and (currently at least) is not. (uboot)  Dfu-util is
> it,
>> and neotool as GUI and extension for it.
>

> I haven't tried this yet, but when I've booted from SD (a bigger one than
> the original 512 MB that's delivered with the FR), why shouldn't I be
able
> to erase and flash /dev/mtd kernel and rootfs like I'm doing with uboot
> environment? I'll give it a try next time I've mashed up the Om2008.8
that
> have currently in NAND.

Yes, if you've booted entirely off the SD card then changes to internal
flash wouldn't hose your running environment. I've been imagining a flash
util plus kernel in a uImage on SD, net result that you stuff the flash
util uImage and the rootfs, kernel uImage or whatever on the SD with it,
boot the FR from SD and it pops up the flash menu.