Bad blocks in NAND

Joachim Ott jo.omsl at
Thu Oct 23 00:51:45 CEST 2008

As I said some days ago in a discussion about flashing via dfu-util or doing
it after having booted from SD, I did it several times now during the last 2
days, and it works great. Another advantage is, after flashing the rootfs,
you can adjust settings on the newly flashed fs (copy dropbear host keys,
ssh authorized_keys, wpa_supplicant.conf and such) before booting the new

However, I get this messages when erasing the rootfs:

debian-gta02:/media/mmcblk0p6/Om2008.9# flash_eraseall /dev/mtd6
Erasing 128 Kibyte @ f600000 -- 99 % complete.
Skipping bad block at 0x0f620000
Skipping bad block at 0x0f640000
Skipping bad block at 0x0f660000
Skipping bad block at 0x0f680000

Is it really always 128 kB that are marked as bad block? Anybody else got
bad blocks already? It looks like dfu-util isn't reporting these errors from
flash erase.