[fso-testing] Where has ld.so.conf gone?

Joel Newkirk freerunner at newkirk.us
Sun Oct 26 20:54:56 CET 2008

http://lists.linuxtogo.org/pipermail/openembedded-devel/2008-October/006557.html

>>> and this file is indeed missing. Where has it gone? Can ldconfig work
>>> without?
>>
>> Good question. Can you check the source?
>
> OK. Thanks for the info. Unfortunately I wasn't having much luck with
> the FSO images so I switched to om-testing (very impatient of me, I
> know). I may switch back in which case I'll give it a go (I may try
> just 'touch /etc/ld.so.conf' to see if that works).
>
> Cheers,
>
> Robert

'man ldconfig' includes the comment: "Some existing libs do not contain
enough information to allow the deduction of their type. Therefore, the
/etc/ld.so.conf file format allows the specification of an expected type.
This is only used for those ELF libs which we can not work out. "

So /etc/ld.so.conf can be empty if there's no libs installed that require
specification within it.  To avoid the error you can just 'touch
/etc/ld.so.conf' as you proposed.  Without that file ldconfig errors out -
if it exists (even empty) ldconfig takes 10-20 seconds and rebuilds cache
and links to known installed libraries.