Qtopia questions

Alastair Johnson alastair at truebox.co.uk
Mon Oct 27 10:45:26 CET 2008

Jette Derriche wrote:
> 2 days ago, I flashed my FR with the newest Qt image (4.4.2) from
> Qtopia.net. I had read several places, that I should use Qt if I wanted
> a stable phone.
>
> 1)
> What does 'stable' mean in that context? I thought it was well-proven
> and literally stable, and yet I have encountered several bugs which is
> normally found in beta-software. For example, when loading the
> addressbook from SIM, all names are chopped off at 14 characters.

'stable' means probably more stable and phone-like than the
alternatives. Qtopia still suffers from low level bugs in the kernel
since it shares that with the other images, including suspend/resume
problems. It also has bugs of its own, but if you report them they
should get fixed. IIRC Lorn has suggested that 4.4.x was released with
more bugs than they would have liked, so if you can live without some of
the added features you may prefer 4.3.x for the moment.

http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Import_Vcf_Contacts

> 3)
> I see people on the list talking about Qtopia 2008.8. Is it a mix of Qt
> and Om?

The Openmoko 2008.8 and 2008.9 releases use X11, the enlightenment
window manager, and the X11 version of Qtopia 4.3 apps for phone and
addressbook functions. This means that it can run onthe X11 apps, unlike
the pure Qtopia images.

> 4)
> The Qt Desktop is only compliant with Qtopia 2 and the Sync Agent is for
> Outlook only, as I understand. Is it at all possible to syncronize with
> Evolution addressbook and calendar?

The Qtopia sync protocol is documented and open, but AFAIK nobody has
written the required plugin.