Ubuntu on 1973/Freerunner

Peter Helfer peter.helfer.java at gmail.com
Thu Sep 11 10:56:17 CEST 2008

Theoretically, it should be feasible, as you just need a cross-toolchain.
Maybe think more of the usability - the Ubuntu Desktop Experience as on the
desktop is just not the same on a phone which is 20x slower... but most
applications for ubuntu don't cope well with the screen restrictions given
on a mobile phone. In addition to that, how would a desktop distribution
react to an incoming phone call/SMS ?
Hopefully you see the problem arising - having a linux kernel underneath
does not necessarily mean that you need to put a
([K]Ubuntu|Debian|Suse|Redhat|....) distribution on top. You really want
something which fits nicely. Please recall also the *nix-way of thinking: do
one thing, but do it well. So the advice to existing distributions who think
of porting over to mobile devices - first bring up a separate mobile
environment concept (including power settings, fragile/temporary/slow
network connections, reduced screen size, reduced computational power & disk
space) before starting to port over.

</rant>,

Peter

Now for