X Free Runner Server won't start

Richard Cooke richard.mallender at gmail.com
Mon Sep 15 12:17:28 CEST 2008

i42gomoe wrote:

> I was updating some packages in my Neo Free Runner, when i reboot it the X
> doesn 't start correctly and in the screen stay the openmoko logo and the
> text "please wait".
>
> I have tried boot the Free Runner from u-boot menu(NAND and NOR) but my PC
> can't detect the device. I would like to know if I have to re-compile my
> kernel whith any option. Thank you for your answer and sorry for my
> english.

I have a similar problem which may be related. I think I can add some
detail.
I am running FSO which I flashed with milestone 2 and have been keeping
updated from the bearstech feed.
This morning I did an opkg update and opkg upgrade which upgraded the kernel
and modules along with some other mostly enlightenment stuff.

On rebooting it gets as far as 'Starting Xserver', shows the 'Angstrom' logo
and then halts at:
openmoko -20080826 om-gta02 tty1
om-gta02 login:

It appears to be prompting for a login which it has never done before.
I have flashed the latest u-boot image but this has made no difference.
I have ssh access to the device but have no idea how to start x from there
or to fix whatever is broken.