GPS Problems

Daniel Willmann daniel at totalueberwachung.de
Tue Apr 7 00:03:11 CEST 2009

On Fri, 3 Apr 2009 09:42:41 -0700 (PDT)
Andrew Stone <abs407 at nyu.edu> wrote:

> I got my Freerunner a few days ago, and since then I've been trying
> to get GPS to work, but no matter what I do...nothing.   I'm using
> Om2008.12.

> From agpsui, I get a grand total of 0 "sats" after even an hour, yet
> strangely enough, I'm getting signals (from the SS screen) with
> around -130 to -140 dBm (I'm assuming that means I might be doing
> something wrong?)

You might want to try flashing an FSO build
(http://downloads.freesmartphone.org/).

I'm currently using
http://totalueberwachung.de/~alphaone/openembedded-build/glibc/images/om-gta02/uImage-2.6.28-oe1+gitr34240a1c06ae36180dee695aa25bbae869b2aa26-r3-om-gta02.bin
and
http://totalueberwachung.de/~alphaone/openembedded-build/glibc/images/om-gta02/openmoko-fso-image-glibc-ipk--20090404-om-gta02.rootfs.jffs2.nosummary

These images also have the GPS hotstart fixed so once you had a fix you
should get another one much faster.
On these images when zhone starts (the main application) press the
lower middle button in order to get detailed GPS information. The
middle tab will show you which SVs the GPS sees, if it has ephemeris
(the information needed for navigating) and if it is currently
downloading that data. One SV needs about 20-30 seconds of continuously
"receiving data" until it can be used for navigation. SVs used for
navigation will turn green.

Regards,
Daniel Willmann