Entering the PIN for a SIM card

halbtaxabo-om at yahoo.com halbtaxabo-om at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 8 13:58:27 CEST 2009

I loaded the SD chip and the SIM card into my Openmoko as described
on the "Getting Started with your Neo FreeRunner" page.
I inserted the battery, closed the case and plugged it into the
charger.

It booted to the GUI (a few icons), then the screen went black after
a couple of minutes.

I pressed the power button, and can see text on the screen:

"Please enter the needed PIN.
SIM Pin:___________"

I'm using a prepaid SIM card from Co-op Switzerland. I have
the PIN. But how do I enter it?
In the lower half of the screen are lower-case letters. By experimenting,
I find I can get upper-case letters, or digits or special
characters, by stroking the screen with the stylus.
I can touch numbers with the stylus and thus compose a 4-digit
number - in the lower half of the screen.
But how do I enter it into the dialog box for the PIN? which
is in the upper half or the screen?????

A photo showing the screen is attached. There is no obvious way
to get the assembled 4 digits into the required box.