Call volume

Angus Ainslie nytowl at openmoko.org
Thu Apr 9 16:06:51 CEST 2009

On Wed, 2009-04-08 at 08:42 -0700, bburdette at comcast.net wrote:
> Hi all;
>
> With SHR-testing the phone seems to be fairly usable.  Battery life is
> even pretty decent.  However, one thing that is a dealbreaker for me as
> far as using my freerunner as my main phone is the call volume.  I can
> make calls just fine from my living room, but in a noisy cafe or inside
> a car I can't hear very well at all.  I've adjusted the volume before
> from text config files, but you walk the line between usable call volume
> and bad echo problems for whoever you're talking to.
>
> Has anyone been able to address this for themselves?  This is maybe the
> last major issue that keeps the FR from being my main phone.  But unless
> this is addressed I can't really recommend the phone to anyone but
> hobbyists.
>
> Ben

I wrote an application do control this. It requires python-pyalasaaudio,
FSO and elementary, so should work on SHR or OM distro's. Put the
elmixer.py into /usr/bin and then put volume.desktop
into /usr/share/applications. The CLVL volume that Mickey talks about in
his mail can be adjusted by using the Modem mixer control.

The mixer tracks scenario changes so the call volume controls don't
become active until a call has started. If you want to change call
volumes it is best to start the application before the call starts as it
takes quite a few seconds to start.

Angus