No GSM. Suspect dead Calypso. What to do?

Timo Juhani Lindfors timo.lindfors at iki.fi
Sat Apr 11 14:23:57 CEST 2009

danek <daniel at digsoc.com> writes:
> Also, is it normal for the modem to give "AT+CFUN=1\r\nERROR\r\n"
> when trying to set telephony mode? As I mentioned, this happens
> every time, and there's no indication what "ERROR" means exactly.

yes.

> Like I said before, if I do "AT+CFUN?" after doing "AT+CFUN=1" and
> getting "ERROR" from the Calypso, I get "+CFUN: 0" as a reply. If
> this part is working, shouldn't I be getting "+CFUN: 1" to tell me
> it has successfully entered phone mode?

Haven't tried AT+CFUN?

> I'm happy to do just about anything as long as it doesn't involve
> SMT. Will I need a ribbon cable to plug into the JTAG header on
> Neo's board? If so, where do you recommend getting one?

You need a 2.5mm 3-pole plug and then something to listen to the
115200 8N1 serial data coming the middle pole. This is 0..3V so you
can't just plug into serial port of your PC (which is -5..5V afaik). I
am trying to use my AVR microcontroller to do that but I was told a
MAX232 chip can do the conversion for you.

Please read the whole #1024 thread at
http://lists.openmoko.org/pipermail/hardware/2009-April/thread.html --
it mentions how this cable can be built.