[Om2009] What needs to be installed to make it usable?

Risto H. Kurppa risto at kurppa.fi
Mon Apr 27 23:53:44 CEST 2009

On Mon, Apr 27, 2009 at 11:55 PM,  <halbtaxabo-om at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Since the Openmoko with Om2008.12 isn't really usable as a mobile
> phone

Check Kustomizer: http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Kustomizer - it'll
help you with this..

> I thought the most useful thing for me to do was to load
> Om2009 as described at:
> http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Om2009
> and then test it and report bugs.

Good thinking, I haven't had the time to go that far yet :(

> Now, when I boot up, I don't get any icons. The default screen just
> shows the time, and 4 menu options:
> I/O
> Msgs
> Tele
> People

AFAIK, thats how the things currently are and we're waiting to see
more soon.. :)

> The other disappointment is that it is still not usable as a mobile
> phone. It can make and receive calls, but the call volume at the
> Openmoko is so low it is barely audible, just the same as
> with Om2008.12. And sometimes (not on all calls) there is a lot
> of noise at the other end of the line (i.e. at the normal telephone).

Volume: it's all about the audio settings /alsamixer. And just a
reminder, no-one (should have) told you it's ready for normal users, I
think it still as a developer device -> it's not as easy to use as
your motorola/nokia/smthng. See
http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Neo_FreeRunner_Hardware_Issues#Better_set_of_mixer_settings

Buzz: It's a known hardware bug that is fixed by replacing a resistor
and adding a capasitor.
See: http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/GSM_buzz and
http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/BuzzFixParty

> (Actually I suppose it's possible that there's noise at the OM end,
> but the volume is so low anyway that I don't notice it.)

Don't think so but let us know if this is the case.

> I did look through the
> message archive, but didn't find anything useful specifically
> geared to the Om2009 distro.

It's still very new & testing and I'd say likely to change so we'll
see what happens..

> I know how to use ssh to get into the om (have already done it)
> and know how to set up iptables on my linux host to get
> from the om to the net, if that's needed.

most likely that's what is needed..

Good luck!