How to get over Battery not charging

François-Léonard Gilbert gilbertf at gmail.com
Fri Aug 21 22:13:14 CEST 2009

On Fri, Aug 21, 2009 at 11:46 AM, Seth Rothenberg <seth at pachai.net> wrote:

> 2009/8/13 François-Léonard Gilbert <gilbertf at gmail.com>:
> > Coincidentally, I left my Freerunner too long between charges
> >  and I had to find a solution this morning (in the wiki, of course).
> >
> > Try this:
> > 1) unplug the FR from USB and charger
> > 2) push the AUX button and, while
> > maintaining it down, plug the charger in.
> > 3) push the AUX button periodically (about every 5 secs)
> > for 2 minutes (each push cycles the selected item in the menu)
>
> François,
> Thanks for posting this, it is a great creative solution.
> Do you know if there is a way to extend the time
> in the NOR boot menu?  (i.e., to make the timeout
> longer) - or, better, is there a way to add a menu choice
> "Wait for more intructions"    (or "CHARGE" :-)
>
> While trying to flash the phone, it's annoying
> to have to juggle FR, keyboard, mouse, etc.
>
> Should I open a ticket?  (It would be the
> first for me on this product, need to learn how :-)
>
> Thanks
> Seth

I think "CHARGE" could be a nice menu option, it would lead to a text
progress bar showing in real time (every 10 secs to save power) the battery
status.

Another way to do this is to change the default action when plugging in the
charger to a shut down FR for a silent charge without booting.  I don't know
the complexity of doing this - I never even looked at any source code for
the FR...

They are already working on U-Boot because of dfu-util so they could be
rolling this second patch in a major release of U-Boot and campaign for
people to upgrade like they did for the GSM firmware.

To return to the start of this thread:  media_farm, did you get your FR to
charge or boot?

Francois