How to get over Battery not charging

Rask Ingemann Lambertsen ccc94453 at vip.cybercity.dk
Sat Aug 22 00:17:18 CEST 2009

On Fri, Aug 21, 2009 at 04:13:14PM -0400, François-Léonard Gilbert wrote:

> I think "CHARGE" could be a nice menu option, it would lead to a text
> progress bar showing in real time (every 10 secs to save power) the battery
> status.

   Except for the progress bar, it is already there, only the label for the
menu item reads just "Power off" instead of "Power off and charge". The
catch is that when it powers off, it will charge at no more than 500 mA even
when connected to the charger.

> Another way to do this is to change the default action when plugging in the
> charger to a shut down FR for a silent charge without booting.

   It is supposed to do that already, but if I'm reading the code right,
there are however a few cases in U-Boot where it leaves the the charger
turned off:
1) If you press the power button for less than one second.
2) If you plug in a power supply other than the charger or a USB host, i.e.
one that is detected as 100 mA only[1].

   Over the weekend, I'll post a patch to always enable the charger and post
a message here when the binary shows up at
http://downloads.openmoko.org/distro/experimental/NeoFreerunner/

[1] This assumes that the 100 mA detection is works. It doesn't in the
2.6.24 and 2.6.29 kernels, for example.

--
Rask Ingemann Lambertsen