[FSO] Wifi in M5 no longer functioning

Andy Green andy at openmoko.com
Wed Feb 4 16:57:10 CET 2009

|> In my FSO M5-equiped FR eth0 visible by iwconfig and my WiFi points
|> successfully scaned by iwlist.
|
| Since the previous Jan 5th basis I understood the kernel had, there are
| relatively few patches.  The main change is WLAN driver is now in modules.
|
|> But, seems like I found another unpleasant bug :(

I never met a pleasant one :-)

|> I tryed setting up direct WiFi network access (without hardware Access
|> Points) for FR by hands (I successfully used such scenario for
|> configuring wireless-networking for some OLPCs & traditional notebooks):
|
|> # iwconfig eth0 mode ad-hoc
|> # iwconfig eth0 essid "my-wifi"
|> # iwconfig eth0
|> eth0      AR6000 802.11g  ESSID:"my-wifi"
|>           Mode:Ad-Hoc  Frequency:2.457 GHz  Cell: 4E:72:EC:8E:38:88
|>           Bit Rate=1 Mb/s   Tx-Power=15 dBm   Sensitivity=0/3
|>           Retry:on
|>           Encryption key:off
|>           Power Management:off
|>           Link Quality:0/94  Signal level:-95 dBm  Noise level:-96 dBm
|>           Rx invalid nwid:0  Rx invalid crypt:0  Rx invalid frag:0
|>           Tx excessive retries:0  Invalid misc:0   Missed beacon:0
|
|> # iwconfig eth0 channel 1
|> # iwconfig eth0 key restricted 1234567890
|> # iwconfig eth0
|> eth0      AR6000 802.11g  ESSID:""
|>           Mode:Ad-Hoc  Frequency:2.457 GHz  Cell: 4E:72:EC:8E:38:88
|>           Bit Rate=1 Mb/s   Tx-Power=15 dBm   Sensitivity=0/3
|>           Retry:on
|>           Encryption key:1234-5678-90   Security mode:restricted
|>           Power Management:off
|>           Link Quality:0/94  Signal level:-95 dBm  Noise level:-97 dBm
|>           Rx invalid nwid:0  Rx invalid crypt:0  Rx invalid frag:0
|>           Tx excessive retries:0  Invalid misc:0   Missed beacon:0
|
|> I lost my ESSID at this step and try setting up this one once again:
|
|> # iwconfig eth0 essid "my-wifi"
|
|> After that system hangs up and blinking by red LED in AUX button.

Right, panicked.

|> Seems like "restricted" key is key point for this situation -- with open
|> key all works good.
|
|> Can someone try to reproduce this situation? May be something wrong with
|> my hardware...

No it shouldn't panic anyway.

Can you open a Trac bug about this, just cut and paste your description
here is fine.

If we can reproduce it with a debug board it's probably not too hard to
make the panic go away anyway.

Ad-hoc is relatively uncommon so it makes sense it's going to show more
bugs.

- -Andy