[FSO] Milestone 5, uBoot and SD, any success?

Kosa kosa at piradio.org
Tue Feb 10 18:41:40 CET 2009

Olivier Migeot escribió:
> Hello ev'ryone.
>
> It's been a while since Freesmartphone's latest milestone (the
> so-called "milestone 5") is out. However, and as willing as I am to
> test it, I still didn't manage to get past the "root not remouted
> read-write as it should" problem.
>
> I saw a lot of discussion about how to fix this with Qi. As I'm still
> too cautious to test Qi yet (after all, this is my main phone we're
> talking about... testing one piece of potentially unstable software at
> a time is well enough for me), I'm wondering whether anybody had
> success with that milestone and the following setup (or something
> close):
>
>  - GTA02
>  - images (.tar.gz and .bin) from the fso-stable tree.
>  - basic uBoot (no update whatsoever since purchase)
>  - and of course, booting on the SD card (once again, I don't want to
> break every part at once)
>
> If, by any chance, somebody succeeded in something similar, would he
> mind explaining how he did?
>
> And if anybody from the FSO team passes by : is there some kind of
> milestone 5.1 expected (fixing that kind of problem, for instance), or
> should we wait for milestone 6?
>
> Thanks a lot.
>
> Regards,

This is my first try on FSO and I like it so far. I had the same
problem with u-boot (didn't try Qi yet) but after some reading
and testing I made it work as follows:

I downloaded and installed neocon from here [1]:

The I ran
user at XXXXX ~/freerunner/$ ./neocon -t 30 /dev/ttyACM0
wich took me to the nand interface. It lloks something like this:

user at XXXXX:~/freerunner/neocon$ ./neocon -t 30 /dev/ttyACM0
[Open /dev/ttyACM0]
In:    usbtty
Out:   usbtty
Err:   usbtty
PCB rev: 0x000
Power: 0mA
GTA02v5 #

Then

GTA02v5 # printenv (which prints all of the entrys in nand boot menu)

I the next command you set the name and menu_X entry as you wush, but
be aware of what you get from #printenv output. I mean, if you already
have an menu_1 entry, using that will overwrite the existing one, so
I suggest you use a none existing number to test it.

Well, next:

GTA02v5 # setenv menu_10 Boot for FSO V: setenv bootargs
${bootargs_base} rootfstype=ext2 root=/dev/mmcblk0p2 rootdelay=5
${mtdparts} rw\; mmcinit\; fatload mmc 1 0x32000000 ${sd_image_name}\;
bootm 0x32000000

Note I'm using menu_10, couse I have several microsd running different
distros, and some of them have even more than one distro.

Also note it expects rootfs to be and ext2 partition, and it is on the
second partition on the microsd. (the first one is for the kernel). I
think the most important part, the one wich makes the difference, is the
rw option.

Then you save the entry to nand:

GTA02v5 # seveenv

Then you power the neo off and get into nand by pressing power + aux.

It is a lillte bit tricky to start neocon, but it does work. If it does
not connect you will get an [closed] message insted of the one I mention
before, but then you can just unplug the neo, get out from neocon by
taping ~. and try again. What I do is first get into nand, then plug the
neo and finnaly start neocon.

Look at the neocon's wiki page for more options[2]

Hope it helps.

Kosa

- Un mundo mejor es posible -

[1] http://svn.openmoko.org/developers/werner/neocon/