GTA02 is now an expensive brick

Timo Juhani Lindfors timo.lindfors at iki.fi
Sun Jan 4 18:16:38 CET 2009

"Lucas Lacroix" <raijinsetsu at gmail.com> writes:
> I'm saddened by the fact that a phone that was supposed to be released to
> the masses can have such a blatant failing. Not only can it NOT turn on when
> the battery has little or no charge, the APM service does not turn the phone
> off to prevent this (note: all OTHER phones I have ever used WILL turn off
> when the battery gets below some critical level).

I use a simple shell script to shutdown the phone in one minute if it
is not charging and the capacity is less than 4%.

#!/bin/sh
set -e
. $HOME/.sysfsrc

while true; do
    # log battery info to stdout
    echo -n "`date -Iseconds` `date +%s`"
    for i in type status voltage_now current_now charge_full temp technology present time_to_empty_now time_to_full_now capacity online; do
        val="`cat $sys_battery/$i | sed 's/ /_/'`"
        echo -n " $val"
    done
    val="`cut -d' ' -f2 /proc/loadavg`"
    echo -n " $val"
    echo ""

    # workaround #1158
    if [ "`cat $sys_battery/capacity`" -lt 95 ]; then
        if [ "`cat $sys_battery/status`" = "Not charging" ]; then
            usbhost-start
            usbhost-stop
        fi
    fi

    # workaround #1712
    if [ "`cat $sys_battery/capacity`" -lt 4 ]; then
        if [ "`cat $sys_battery/status`" = "Not charging" ]; then
            sudo shutdown -h 1
            exit
        fi
    fi
    sleep 120
done

> On top of this, if I ever expect to have a working phone, I have to disable
> the only feature which should extend the battery life (read that as:
> OpenMoko has fixed the WSoD problem by replacing it with the BSoD - Black
> Screen of Death).

Can't say much here. I have not seen either problem very often.

> work with this battery. Lastly, I do not have a second battery.

Try to find somebody else who has a freerunner and borrow a battery
for a while?