GTA02 is now an expensive brick

Jan Henkins jan at henkins.za.net
Mon Jan 5 01:23:20 CET 2009

Hello Lucas,

Lucas Lacroix wrote:
> Thanks for all the responses.
>
> I believe have a GTA02v5, but there's no identifying mark to say which
> version.

It's also a mystery to me in how to detect which version I have. Could
somebody please enlighten us on how to do this?

> As for purchasing an additional battery or a battery charger, that is
> NOT a solution. That's a stop-gap. It's the same as purchasing a new
> car, finding the axle broke in your driveway overnight, and then the
> car salesmen telling you "all you need to fix it is buy a new axle".

While I can fully understand your dissappoinment (last week I was in
exactly the same situation), I do not fully agree with your assesment.
Read on...

> I have tried every combination of with/without battery, holding aux,
> USB or Wall charger, and holding aux+power. None of these combinations
> have yielded any results.

I'm sorry that the AUX trick did not work for you. So much the better
that you get an external battery charger with an extra battery. Here is
what I would say to be valid justification:

(1) The current GTA02 does not have great battery life, even though it
is improving greatl. In order to extend the time that the device could
be used effectively, it makes sense to me to have at least one fully
charged battery. I use my phone to record GPS tracks in order to help
mapping my town for Openstreetmap, so the longer I have to track, the
better. Also, having two or more charged batteries lets me walk instead
of drive, which is healthier, yadda yadda (new year's resolutions etc
etc). I also use these track logs to geotag my photos.

(2) In your case, you cannot boot up the FR without some charge in the
battery.

So you have possibly two points to justify purchasing an external
charger (with or without an extra battery). Also, please remember that
the GTA02 is still really experimental hardware, even though it is a lot
more consumer-grade than GTA01, so it is to be expected that there will
be some hiccups (this specific point scared the hell out of me at first,
but in the end I decided to bite the bullet and buy anyway).  In view of
this, it wouldn't be quite right to use the car analogy with the GTA02,
since a car is a "fully developed product", while the GTA02 is still
being developed (with interaction from you and me). The trick would be
to find out if there is actually something physically wrong with your
GTA02, like a broken AUX button etc, and I really hope that somebody
from Openmoko could chip in here with some useful comments.

--
Regards,
Jan Henkins