[2008.12] ssh instability

Joel Newkirk freerunner at newkirk.us
Wed Jan 7 17:18:18 CET 2009

On Wed, 7 Jan 2009 10:21:31 -0500, Paul <paultsai at gmail.com> wrote:
> I can also confirm this.
>
> On Wed, Jan 7, 2009 at 5:26 AM, Joachim Ott <jo.omsl at googlemail.com>
> wrote:
>> 2009/1/7 Robin Paulson <robin.paulson at gmail.com>
>>>
>>> i'm having a lot of problems with my ssh connection over usb - it
>>> usually takes several attempts to connect, and
>>> will hang mid-way through operations very often
>>>
>>> sometimes un-plugging and re-plugging usb will sort it, sometimes
>>> leaving it for a minute or two, or suspending and resuming. sometimes
>>> it takes a reboot
>>>
>>> is this a known problem with the release, or more likely some specific
>>> problem here? it worked great with 2008.9, i never had a single
>>> problem
>>
>> Does "ssh -v root at neo 2>ssh.log" give you a hint, when the error occurs?

And here I was blaming it on Ubuntu.  I've noticed that when it happens the
IP on usb0 on the HOST is lost - this suggests to me that it's NOT just
losing the network link, certainly not just SSH, but rather that the USB
connection itself is dropping out momentarily.

Joel Newkirk
http://jthinks.com      (blog)
http://newkirk.us/om (FR stuff)