OpenMoko Webcam

Neil Benn neil.benn at ziath.com
Wed Jan 14 23:55:33 CET 2009

Hello,

          Fantastic that worked - thank you very much (I needed a make
prepare before running make sound and I also needed to dig out a modpost
script which I had premade), I used xawtv and luvcview to try out my camera
(Philips SPC630NC) - I too had the poor resolution you described.  I'm
testing it out to see if it is good enough for me but I suspect that it will
not be :(.

Cheers,

Neil

2009/1/14 Rask Ingemann Lambertsen <rask at sygehus.dk>

> On Sun, Jan 11, 2009 at 02:51:07PM +0100, Neil Benn wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> >           I am trying to enable support on my OpenMoko for Webcams.  I
> have
> > followed the instructions to install debian by using the installation
> script
> > described at : http://wiki.debian.org/DebianOnFreeRunner.  I then
> followed
> > the instructions for openmoko and webcam at :
> > http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Webcam.
>
>    I found that those instructions don't work, presumably because they are
> outdated. Here's how I got it to work:
>
> --- begin HOWTO ---
>
> This is a description of how to use
> a USB webcam on a Neo Freerunner running the Debian distribution as of
> 2009-01-01. There are three parts to it:
>
> 1) Compiling the necessary kernel modules,
> 2) Installing utilities for changing USB mode (host/device).
> 3) Installing a video program.
>
> Throughout, commands prefixed with # should be run as root while commands
> prefixed with $ should be run as a normal user.
>
> 1. Compiling the necessary kernel modules,
>
> # echo 'deb-src http://pkg-fso.alioth.debian.org/debian unstable main'
> >>/etc/apt/sources.list.d/pkg-fso.list
> # apt-get update
>
> # apt-get install dpkg-dev bzip2 gcc make xutils-dev libc6-dev
> libncurses5-dev
>
> $ cd ~
> $ mkdir download source build
> $ cd source
> $ dpkg --list | grep -F -e linux-image-
> ii  linux-image-2.6.24-openmoko-gta02                       20081[...]
> $ apt-get source linux-image-2.6.24-openmoko-gta02
>
> You should now have an unpacked linux kernel tree. Make note of the extra
> version
> string in the directory name, which in this particular case it is
> '-20081103.git7172ec57'. For example, use your terminal's copy/paste
> facility to
> make a copy of it before the 'make menuconfig' command below.
>
> $ cd ~/build && mkdir linux-2.6-openmoko-20081103.git7172ec57 && cd
> linux-2.6-openmoko-20081103.git7172ec57
> (making use of TAB-completion to save some typing)
> $ lndir -silent ../../source/linux-2.6-openmoko-20081103.git7172ec57
> $ cp /boot/config-2.6.24-20081103.git7172ec57 .config
> $ make menuconfig
>
> In 'General setup', 'Local version' enter the version string from above.
> Nothing bad will happen to your Neo if you get it wrong, you'll just be
> sorry
> in an hour or so when your modules won't load.
>
> Most new USB cameras comply with the USB Video Class standard, for which no
> driver was included in the 2.6.24 kernel, and the other drivers have since
> been updated. We'll download and compile the camera drivers separately.
>
> Some cameras include a microphone as a standard USB audio device. Enable it
> here:
>
> Device Drivers -> Sound -> Advanced Linux Sound Architecture -> USB devices
> [...]

Neil Benn Msc
CEO
Ziath Ltd
Website - http://www.ziath.com
Blog - http://www.labauto-lounge.com

IMPORTANT NOTICE:  This message, including any attached documents, is
intended only for the use of the individual or entity to which it is
addressed, and may contain information that is privileged, confidential and
exempt from disclosure under applicable law.  If the reader of this message
is not the intended recipient, or the employee or agent responsible for
delivering the message to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified
please notify Ziath Ltd immediately by email at info at ziath.com. Thank you.