Experiences with GTA02 and OM2008.12 (was part of the "Brick" thread)

Gothnet openmoko at nastylittlehorse.net
Tue Jan 20 13:36:26 CET 2009

To Craig and other (fellow) whiners:

Try Android. You'll need to update your uboot environment to allow for a
bigger kernel, but go here:

http://panicking.kicks-ass.org/download/

And check out:

http://panicking.kicks-ass.org/blog/

It's not quite production ready yet (in fact it has some showstoppers for
everyday use like refusing to boot after some as-yet unidentified config
changes, only registering with GSM one boot in two, suspend.. some of which
may have been fixed in yesterday's image which I've not tried yet) but...
GPS just works, phone calls just work, SMS just works, Wifi  works (with a
manual directory creation step), the keyboard is good, the interface is
pretty, well designed and responsive, the web-browser works. I set up the
email app to use my home IMAP server in just a few minutes...

GPRS is apparently a WIP, though some success is reported.

As I say, not quite there yet, but when a couple more issues around gluing
the hardware, kernel and userspace together get sorted out, I think it's
going to be the quickest and easiest way to get a fully functioning
phone/internet device/GPS out of the Freerunner.

I wish I didn't have to say that, but experience with the 2008.x series of
software (and two months of attempting to use it as a main phone) left me
similarly frustrated. I nearly threw the phone out of the window on several
occasions. Just trying to answer a call was a supremely vexatious
experience.