Screen flickering and tearing

Peter Strapp peter at strapp.co.uk
Mon Jan 26 00:45:35 CET 2009

Hi all,

I have come across what appears to be quite a nasty little bug. After a
while the right hand side of the display begins to tear and flicker to
the right of objects. I have only noticed this in recent FSO builds
using 2.6.28 kernels.

The only other time I've seen this kind of tearing effect was when
rotating the screen using xrandr before all the kinks were sorted out (6
months ago).

http://www.strapp.co.uk/files/tearing.png (It isn't a bad quality image,
that is how how it appears)
http://www.strapp.co.uk/files/nos.mpg (This IS a bad quality movie but
you can just make out the jittering next to the house icon)

Has anyone else seen this before as I'd really like to rule out a
hardware problem?

Peter.