Newbie introduces, and has problems

François-Léonard Gilbert gilbertf at gmail.com
Wed Jul 15 17:06:49 CEST 2009

On Wed, Jul 15, 2009 at 9:59 AM, Ali <alishams at interchange.ubc.ca> wrote:

> http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Usb_networking is your mecca. Only the
> advanced way has worked for me, ever, and it has worked on every stack.

Thanks, I will try it!

> > b) is there a bug in Qt 4.4.3 that prevents it from erasing the PIN
> > from my SIM?  Is it worth it to upgrade to Qt Extended Improved?
> YES! Qte is dead and unsupported but forks of qte live on. My favourite
> is qtmoko. Two flavours, one is on fso root fs, the other debian.
> http://qtmoko.org/wiki/Main_Page Get used to flashing, you'll be doing
> it alot.

No biggie, it is quite easy with the OS X flasher GUI :-)  I'll check QtMoko
tonight.

On the subject of flashing, is there any detailed explanation of the
architecture of an image?  Are kernels and rootfs images mix-and-match?  I
have seen that some distros only have a rootfs, others have both.   Is there
a way to take an image of the current state of my phone before flashing so I
can keep settings, data, etc. when flashing back?

> > c) how do I check the GSM firmware version (may be the source of my
> > GSM/SIM problems?) so I do not add another complicated task to my
> > short-term objectives?
> >
> In qte(i), there is a a system info application with a modem tab. Sorry
> I can't be more precise, but my freerunner is getting buzz fixed.

That's just enough info to find it, I'll check that tonight too. Since my
unit was bought last week (already buzz-fixed), I believe I have a non-zero
chance that the GSM firmware is moko11.

qtmoko should give you 100% working calls forsure. Good luck and
> have fun!

Thanks for the quick answers!