Finding a recent U-Boot (Was: Om2009 testing release 4)

Robin Paulson robin.paulson at gmail.com
Mon Jun 1 06:50:12 CEST 2009

2009/6/1 Rask Ingemann Lambertsen <rask at sygehus.dk>:
>   Unfortunately, the U-Boot download link points to an ancient (>8 months
> old) version of U-Boot. The latest U-Boot is here:
>
> http://downloads.openmoko.org/distro/experimental/NeoFreerunner/

ah, good you found it. i didn't realise that link was broken

>> that said, i'm sticking with qi, and development there looks much more
>> active.
>
>   Not much difference:
>
> U-Boot: Two commits in the last two months. [1]
> qi: Three commits in the last two months. [2]

well, statistics can be deceptive. you're not wrong, but:
u-boot 2 commits this year
qi: 50+ commits this year

of course, my stats could be deceptive too, and not tell the whole
story. and they don't. this is more about predicting where qi will go
in future, than where it is now. and various people from om have
talked about qi being the way forward. i imagine there will be no more
significant changes to uboot from here onwards, whereas qi will
steadily improve. i might be wrong

> [1] http://git.openmoko.org/?p=u-boot.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/stable
> [2] http://git.openmoko.org/?p=qi.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/master
>
>> there's no incentive i can see to stay with uboot
>
>   Other than being able to flash a new boot loader. :-)

eh? i'm happy with qi, my fr is working well (aside from wifi), and
can update qi when i need to. i was careful all the way through what i
said to include what 'i' am doing, rather than what you should do

cheers