Om2009 testing release 4

Joachim Ott jo.omsl at
Tue Jun 2 15:54:30 CEST 2009

2009/6/2 Robin Paulson <robin.paulson at>:
> 2009/6/2 Al Johnson <openmoko at>:
>> On Tuesday 26 May 2009, Robin Paulson wrote:
>>> there's no incentive i can see to stay with uboot
>> You probably don't have 4 different distros on your SD then ;-)
> no, i don't.
> but it doesn't look like it will be long before qi can do multi-boot

Quoting from that paragraph:

- Therefore Qi does NOT provide a boot menu. This should rather be
implemented by a minimal Kernel, initramfs and menu system.

Qi will not initialize any video, that's why it needs to boot a
mini-kernel which then provides a boot menu where a user can select
from which partition he wants to boot. I ask you, what was wrong with
u-boot, which already did that without that mini-kernel? It cannot be
speeding up the boot-process, because the loading time for Qi or
u-boot cannot be much different, and when the kernel is loaded and
started, both loaders vanish. I'm sure you can add a kernel
cmdline-param -quiet to u-boot too.