help for newbie, and some python

Robin Paulson robin.paulson at gmail.com
Wed Jun 3 05:19:05 CEST 2009

2009/6/3 Anthony Winter <awtel at sayne.org>:
> Is there any obvious way of telling what will and what won't run on om2009?

try installing it from the opkg.org repos. if it's been packaged
correctly, and has it's dependencies listed, it will refuse to install
and thrown up errors. in that case, you can either force it to install
ignoring the erros, and hope they're not critical (if you're very
fortunate), track them down from elsewhere (debian, shr, etc.) or
switch to a different distro

> And my second question:  here is a tiny python/gtk program. How do I get it to
> run on the Freerunner?

python is installed by default on om2009, so run it exactly as you
would a python programme on your desktop - there really are no
important difference between that and your neo. so, copy it to
somewhere on the neo (/usr/bin might be good) and then run:

$ python base.py

assuming you have the correct gtk libraries installed, that is