[om2009-r4] Warren's Settings Worked for Me (was Re: Om2009 testing release 4)

openmoko at humilis.net openmoko at humilis.net
Mon Jun 8 16:07:31 CEST 2009

Joerg Reisenweber wrote (ao):
> Am Do  4. Juni 2009 schrieb William Ray Yeager:
> > A critical friend of mine who has mocked my purchase of an
> > "unfinished" phone just told me that our connection was as good as a
> > landline!  I followed Warren's advice below and lowered control.5 to
> > 80 (I'm naturally conservative) which has (so far) completely removed
> > the previously unbearable buzz my friend had observed on the other end
> > of the conversation.  Wow.  Now I might not need to solder in a new
> > capacitor!
> >
> > For the demi-newbie:
> >
> > Open /usr/share/openmoko/scenarios/gsmhandset.state
> > Scroll down to control.5 and in that section change the line under
> > 'Mono Playback Volume' from "value 110" to "value 80".
> > Save file.
> > Call OM skeptic.
> > Gloat.
> >
> > Warren said:
> >
> > "I've always had people complain that they got a lot of static when
> > they called me - I thought I had the buzz problem in fact.   I just
> > spent the time to figure out how to use alsamixer to tweak things, and
> > if I set control.5 (Mono Playback Volume)  to 83 from above 100 like
> > I've seen in other gsmhandset.state files (ranging from 100 to 110
> > seems normal), I get a perfectly clear signal on the other end."
> Another unconfirmed taletelling about Buzzfix by ALSA settings. Don't you
> think we checked this prior to coming up with a hw-rework after months and
> months of wrestling with this issue?

Joerg, I also tested this by lowering Mono to 72 with alsa-mixer on my
A6 OM2009 Test4 after reading Warrens mail, and I now no longer sound
like sitting on a motor lawnmower during a call.

Maybe this is something different than the Buzz Issue, but it improves
sounds for the other party a lot.

This btw is in The Netherlands. After reading that less than 5% of the
owners are hit in practice by the Buzz Issue, I was pretty surprised to
be one of them. But now it seems the noise is not due to the Buzz Issue?

	With kind regards, Sander

Humilis IT Services and Solutions