[om2009-r4] Warren's Settings Worked for Me (was Re: Om2009 testing release 4)

Warren Baird wjbaird at alumni.uwaterloo.ca
Mon Jun 8 18:31:50 CEST 2009

Hi Joerg,

I certainly don't mean to downplay the research you did - I was just trying
to explain the experiences I've had.   When I set control.5 to about 85 I no
longer heard a buzz when I called myself on a phone - A few people
complained that I sounded a bit muffled, so I reset it to the 101 (same as
gsmhandset-a7.state), and since then it seems pretty good - my wife has
complained once about some intermittent minor buzz, but I've had a number of
phone conversations where people said I sounded fine.

I've still seen varying opinions on these mailing lists ranging from 'only
5% of people need the buzz fix' to 'everyone with an A5 or A6 needs the buzz
fix'.

Is the official line that everyone with an A5 or A6 would benefit from the
buzz fix?

Warren

On Mon, Jun 8, 2009 at 9:49 AM, Joerg Reisenweber <joerg at openmoko.org>wrote:

> > Warren said:
> >
> > "I've always had people complain that they got a lot of static when
> > they called me - I thought I had the buzz problem in fact.   I just
> > spent the time to figure out how to use alsamixer to tweak things, and
> > if I set control.5 (Mono Playback Volume)  to 83 from above 100 like
> > I've seen in other gsmhandset.state files (ranging from 100 to 110
> > seems normal), I get a perfectly clear signal on the other end."
>
> Another unconfirmed taletelling about Buzzfix by ALSA settings. Don't you
> think we checked this prior to coming up with a hw-rework after months and
> months of wrestling with this issue?
> /j

Warren Baird - Photographer and Digital Artist
http://www.synergisticimages.ca