Problems to configure openmoko bridge with ubuntu

arne anka openmoko at ginguppin.de
Fri Jun 19 18:28:58 CEST 2009

> have you got wicd installed? it's a replacement for the endlessly
> sucky network-manager (or something like that). it's a drop-in, no
> need to change any config, but it makes things so much easier, and
> it's in the ubuntu repos. i'd recommend that, and then come back if
> things aren't fixed. even if it doesn't sort your problem, i'd suggest
> using it

my experience is: wicd sucks royally!
and recommending to change a most likely unrelated piece of software is
probably not going to help much.

for the op:
what exactly did you do?

is the name server set correctly (check /etc/resolv.conf on the fr)?
does pinging an ip (not a name) work?

try
ping 193.99.144.80
that's the ip of heise.de, a german news portal.
if it works, name resolution is broken, copy yout host's /etc/resolv.conf
to the fr.

for normal forwarding i got in my host's /etc/network/interfaces

auto usb0
iface usb0 inet static
         address 192.168.0.200
         netmask 255.255.255.0
         network 192.168.0.0
         post-up iptables -A POSTROUTING -t nat -j MASQUERADE -s
192.168.0.0/24
         post-up echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward
         post-up iptables -P FORWARD ACCEPT

check the logs, if error messages are displayed or simply try

iptables -A POSTROUTING -t nat -j MASQUERADE -s 192.168.0.0/24
echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward
iptables -P FORWARD ACCEPT

and see if messages are printed.