More than 7 partitions on the SD

Pietro "m0nt0" Montorfano monto84 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 9 22:10:55 CET 2009

Hi, i've bought a 4GB uSD and i've partitioned it to try and test a lot
of distro, done 10 partitions (1 for kernel and 1 extended for logical
partitions) booted and.... only 7 partitions shown, no prob, i've read
the wiki page and a file [1] describing minor and major numbers for
devices and reffering to that ok, only 8 partitions are possible, 7
usable (1 extended of course). In the same file there is also a
description about scsi disks devices (/dev/sda and so on), referring to
that file only sixteen devices like sda are possible, but, working with
storage, multipath and sometimes configuring linux server i've seen
devices li /dev/sdaz.
Oh i've forgot to say that fdisk prints the correct partition table....
Sooo, how it's that possible?? Why can't we simply patch the driver
which make the mmcblk device to let us create all the devices?
I'm not a kernel developer so i don't understand a lot from the code,
the problem could be that if the device is mapped as mmcblk and we are
respecting the file (of course we are, it's standardized i think/hope)
we could simply switch the device from mmcblk* to sd*.

What about something like that?

Thanks a lot

Pietro

P.S. I'd like to buy an 8GB uSD but i can't live with only 7
partitions :D