[HW] Ear phones with microphone, for hands-free calling?

Toni Mueller support at oeko.net
Sat Mar 28 13:15:56 CET 2009

Hi,

as I find the device heavy and clumsy to use, and as I'd also like to
be able to use the screen while talking, I thought that having an
external in-ear head set that also features a microphone be a good
thing to have for this device. I mean, there is already a 2.5mm socket
for an ear phone, but I know neither of such a head set (although there
should be some in the market), nor do I know whether the FR can
distinguish whether it has only an ear phone or an ear phone with a
microphone plugged in (and then use that for recording voice).

Reading about this problem, eg. here:
http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Stable_Hybrid_Release

and here:

http://n2.nabble.com/Call-Volume-on-wired-headset-td2157407.html

suggests that there are at least appropriate head sets out there, and
that "time" will fix the problem of not being able to use the
microphone, right? We have a hands-free-while-driving law in Germany,
too...

Kind regards,
--Toni++