SD fails spectacularly and unpredictably when a SIM card is used

Nicola Mfb nicola.mfb at
Tue Mar 31 01:15:27 CEST 2009

2009/3/31 Luca Capello <luca at>

> Hi Nicola!
> [...]
> What should be the difference WRT killing the daemon?  AFAIK frameworkd
> shutdowns all resources when quitting, thus GSM should be then disabled.

Hi Luca!
that was only a step to be sure that GSM did not remain On for some obscure
reason, to be paranoid I did all my test removing gsm stuff from init
startup, powering off the device and removing/replacing battery :)

Anyway, I did the test you requested:
>  # cd /etc/rc5.d/
>  # mv S23bluetooth S29frameworkd S35fso-gpsd S35fso-monitord S35gpsd
> S99xserver-nodm ~/
> The result does not change at all:

> Just to be clear: X has nothing to do with GSM stuff.  If you use an
> FSO-based distribution, simply stopping frameworkd should stop any
> access to GSM.  This is obviously true if you do not access the GSM
> layer directly, otherwise ogsmd should be disabled.

Qtopia access GSM layer directly and is started by X scripts, that's the
reason I removed it. I'm speaking about qtopia on x11 of 2008.12.

> > I think we should update the wiki page about SD, as that reports that
> > Kingston SD are working well.
> Do whatever you like, but I strongly disagree: 3 out of 4 people
> experienced problems with this specific Kingston microSDHC card.  The
> probability that the three microSDHC cards failing are all fault is
> really low, so I think that GTA02 has problems with this specific
> microSDHC card.

Sorry, I agree with you, but my English is not always clear! I mean We
should update the wiki page as *that page* reports Kingston SD are working

> Maybe the problem will disappear with the tricks at
> BTW, as it is clear from all my tests, I would go further and say that
> the problem is not GSM-dependent, i.e. it does not matter if you have or
> not a SIM card in the phone.

I'm going to buy a new SD card in the meaning too, hoping it will work fine
even at low GSM coverage, it's from setpember 2008 I own a freerunner and
for one or other reason I cannot yet use it as my daily phone!