Ethernet over USB and UDEV

Mikko Rauhala mjrauhal at cc.helsinki.fi
Tue May 5 00:21:10 CEST 2009

ti, 2009-05-05 kello 00:51 +0200, Esben Stien kirjoitti:
> Mikko Rauhala <mjrauhal at cc.helsinki.fi> writes:
> > the gadget would be in control and a well-behaved gadget could have
> > a constant MAC (or not, as it happens, but this wouldn't be a
> > general property of Ethernet over USB devices).
>
> Well, it is a general problem, because it's something outside the
> gadget that sets this MAC address.

Nnno, I'm sure I pretty much argued that the gadget sets the MAC
address, and I haven't seen refutations from you, which kind of
indicates to me that you're just majorly confused about the issue. But
feel free to show otherwise.

> In the case of Neo, it is Neo itself that would set the MAC address
> for its Ethernet over USB interface.

Yess, apparently the MAC that the host sees as well (again see
http://docs.openmoko.org/trac/ticket/1023 for reference). This seems to
have slipped by you.

> If you got two Host to Host cables, there is no way to assign a
> specific MAC address to either of them that would survive a computer
> reboot.

And that's an issue for the Host to Host cable in question. Perhaps in
practice all of them, I don't know. But it seems to be their
manufacturers' choice.

--
Mikko Rauhala <mjr at iki.fi>       - http://www.iki.fi/mjr/blog/
The Finnish Pirate Party         - http://piraattipuolue.fi/