OpenMoko beginner

Tilman Baumann tilman at baumann.name
Tue May 19 10:14:11 CEST 2009

Risto H. Kurppa wrote:
> On Mon, May 18, 2009 at 3:25 PM, Robin Paulson <robin.paulson at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>> 2009/5/18 Tilman Baumann <tilman at baumann.name>:
>>> But do whatever you want to do. I don't have to take you seriously.
>>
>> if you want to discourage people from taking part in the community,
>> your approach is *exactly* the way to go. or, maybe it's more useful
>> to foster people joining in; i thought that was what open-source was
>> all about?
>
> http://aseigo.blogspot.com/2009/01/building-community-around-your-foss.html

Sorry, I'm sometimes a pessimistic sarcastic asshole. And I like that role.
I have seen so much hot air in the beginning of the OM project.
Do you remember all the dicks who thought they could do all sorts of crazy
stuff completely disregarding the actual state of the project.
This has hurt the project a lot too in my view.

We have some fundamental issues at the moment. And security is probably
not one of them.
Our enthusiastic newcomer 'I have to ... for a university project' is
always welcome. I just hate security people and I hate it when people try
to contribute to a project just because it is popular and cool.

Maybe he has fun and all. Then by all means, have it. But to me it sounded
more like involuntary work.

I think he should rather ask his mentors to give him a useful job.
(Hey Ovidiu don't listen to me, do what you want! Really, this the only
right thing you can do. Doing what _you_ think is right for you. Then some
dick like me will not stop you)

If he would have said he likes to _implement_ a security structure like
integrating SMACK or something like at and of course move the userland
away from root. I would have thrown myself in the sand before him and
hailed him as my new hero.

> --
> | risto h. kurppa
> | risto at kurppa dot fi