Best graphics performance?

Jon 'maddog' Hall maddog at li.org
Wed May 27 13:09:20 CEST 2009

>Optimizing navit and reducing other apps RAM
>usage will of course help, but I doubt that the distros will make the
>hardware much faster ;P

Many years ago I remember taking an operating system that was in its
third release and requesting the engineers work very hard on memory
optimization.  Concentrating on that they reduced the booting and
running memory footprint by 50%, and as a consequence the operating
system ran programs (on the average) 7% faster.

7% may not sound like much, but it can be the difference between
"sluggish" and "o.k."

This is part of what makes source code availability and open hardware
important, so many people can work on things like performance.

md