CellHunter legend

Alex (Maxious) Sadleir maxious at gmail.com
Sun Nov 22 06:06:22 CET 2009

On Sun, Nov 22, 2009 at 12:39 PM, Walery Strauch <walery at online.de> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> my CellHunter on SHR (pre-nov2009-core-updates) shows me:
>
> Provider:       o2 - de (262/07)
> Cell:           A102 / EA0E / 25
>
> I was trying to find some documentation about this but in vain...
> So my guess is this:
>
> Provider:       o2 - de (MCC/MNC)
> Cell:           LAC / cellID / signalStrength

Correct!
> but what says signalStrength?
> Is 25 much?
It comes from the FSO library that allows access to the GSM hardware (
http://git.freesmartphone.org/?p=specs.git;a=blob_plain;f=html/org.freesmartphone.GSM.Monitor.html;hb=HEAD#GetNeighbourCellInformation
). In cellhunter, signal strength is defined as "(rxlevel / 2) +2"
where rxlevel is Recieved Field Level as a percentage. So 25 would be
almost half strength? I'm getting values between 12 and 18 so that's
not very good but my phone service isn't always stable.

> What is the maximum?
52? You would have to be very close to get that, I'm sure.
> How to find out which cell is on house of my neighbor?
There are some tools for accessing the Cellhunter database at the
bottom of the website - http://ch.omoco.de/cellhunter/
I think you would have to download the CSV GPS and plot/filter the
points to find which cell covers which house.
> Has cell on one house only one MNC, or are there splits for the provider?
Each SIM card can only pick up one MNC/network but one house may be
covered by several networks/MNC.