First good experiences, except for the microphone

Michael Zanetti michael_zanetti at gmx.net
Sun Sep 27 12:12:56 CEST 2009

On Sunday 27 September 2009 11:21:22 hartrumpf at gmx.net wrote:
> Hi all.
>
> I bought a Neo Freerunner some days ago, installed
> the latest SHR without any real problems
> (after flashing, I had to boot twice instead of one boot;
> that was ok for me).
> The Freerunner is much more usable than I expected;
> thanks to the community!
>
> Currently, I know only one annoyance:
> the microphone does not work well (hardware or software, I have no idea).
> On the receiver side, there is some noise (up to 20 or 30% of the voice
>  signal, I would guess)
> that makes it hard to understand the person with the Freerunner.
> (The other direction is fine, i.e. good audio output
> on the Freerunner side.)
> Any known solutions, yet?

It depends what kind of noise you have.

If it's a constant buzzing you might consider having a look at the hardware
buzzfix just like rakshat mentioned.

If you experience a rustling noise, check your gsmhandset.state file ( in
/usr/share/shr/scenarii/ ). The "Mono playback volume" may be overdriven a
little bit. The easiest way to adjust it is to log in into the phone using
ssh, open alsamixer, start a call and find out the best values. After that,
make them persistent in the gsmhandset.state file. Be aware that the ranges
might differ in alsamixer (0 - 100) and the file (0 - 127). You will have to
adjust them properly.

Hope this helps.
Michael